top of page

Our process

Step One:
Free Consultation

When you phone or fill out our form, we'll assess your case and answer any initial questions you may have about employment law and your situation. If you need further support, they will then assign your case to the employment advocate best suited to help you. They'll talk to you about what options you might have and what they would recommend as the next step.

Step Three:
Progress Your Case

This might involve supporting you in a disciplinary meeting, representing you in a restructure, negotiating an exit package, or agreeing a financial settlement with your employer.  Typically, once we are involved your employer is required to deal directly with us which takes a lot of the stress off your shoulders.


Step Five: Conciliation

​If it can't be solved informally with your employer, then we may need to go to conciliation. Conciliation is confidential, neutral and facilitated by an impartial person provided by the Fair Work Commission. We will be with you to present your case and help make sure you can get your side across. Your employer will have their opportunity to reply. Both parties will then try to resolve the issue. If this is successful, tboth parties sign off on a confidential and legally binding agreement.

Step Two:
Authority to Act

If you decide to proceed you will receive an email with our Terms of Engagement (i.e. our fees) and an Authority to Act form. Giving us Authority to Act means that we can legally speak on your behalf. Once you have given us authority to act on your behalf, we'll get to work trying to resolve your employment issue. 

Step Four:
Informal Settlement

Most of our cases are settled at this informal stage. This means that both parties come to a confidential agreement that resolves all the issues raised. If there is an agreement, we'll draw up a legally binding document which will be signed by both parties and made enforceable.  Any money to be paid to you by your employer will usually be received within 7 days.

Step Six:

If conciliation is unsuccessful, or your employer refuses to attend, then we may need to progress to the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission (QIRC) or the Fair Work Commission (FWC), depending on your case. These bodies make a decision on employment disputes and what your employer needs to pay you. Before doing anything, we will discuss what will happen and your chances of success. 


bottom of page